Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Friday, September 15, 2006

Game Programming and BASIC

I found "Why Johnny can't code: BASIC used to be on every computer a child touched -- but today there's no easy way for kids to get hooked on programming" interesting.

My sons have gotten into programming via edutainment software [there was a game puzzle where you had to program a robot to go from point A to point B] and then I got them Stagecast Creator game tool software. They did OK enough at first, so I bought 2 licenses for them. Result: OK. My main grief is that you can make big game that's hard to debug and maintain. I've blogged about various ideas about better programming environment, before.

I've mentioned GameMaker's Apprentice before and I did buy it and my sons started the tutorial but never finished and haven't done anything with it since. We're still in the process of moving [mainly unpacking and getting settled with regular schedule], it may be a while before they get back into programming again....

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.