Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Customize your own cellphone

Here's a rather affordable cellphone SDK put together by Trolltech:

Qtopia Greenphone SDK

It's like PalmOS programming on Treo phones but with Greenphone, you can take over pretty much everything and redo them yourself. They only support GSM which is fine with me since I will only buy smart card based phones.**

It's one of those new things which sounds very exciting, a new dev platform. In the past, I've signed up for developing on: Macintosh, BeBox, SmalltalkAgents, PalmOS, and even Nintendo GameBoy Advanced [Linux hack kit to write games for GBA, not the official Nintendo dev kit] and haven't gotten anywhere with any of them. I've bought my current TabletPC notebook hoping to do some development, too. There are few others I've passed on like: NextStep, Lisp machine, GP2X, to name few. So I'll sleep on it and find something new to work on tomorrow.... (grin)

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.
--

** I'm really hoping that wireless companies will introduce 3G phones with USIM (or UIM) so that all phones will have smart cards. Today, the retail clerk at Circuit City representing Verizon Wireless was funny: she hadn't heard of 3G phones and when I asked about smart cards she made it seem like it was non-digital while Verizon was "all digital." Sigh.