Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Friday, August 25, 2006

Meta-Social networking: ranking, money and critics glory

LA Times explains "Where Everyone Is a Critic: Yelp.com enables ordinary customers to tout or trash. For owners of restaurants and shops, it's no longer business as usual." But they do point how it works well in San Francisco but may not extend to other cities.

There are many web sites where long time contributor has weight in opinions, worth, etc. EBay has the feed back points, Amazon has reviewer rank.

Having orthogonal ID would be nice. I can gain trust in one location which would "carry over" to other sites. Likewise, I can block or ignore IDs which I disagree or find objectionable. And if I feel like it, I can promote a set of IDs [much like I can have my ipod listen lists I share] and even financially support IDs I like [one time pay or monthly payment]. I can also pay for an idea of a person regardless of where that idea placed [comment, blog, email]: this would be book proposal [which can result in discount of the book, profit sharing of book sales, etc] or a new feature or bug fix of a software [with open source software, there is no "real" profit sharing]. One can see the IDs compared in a hot or not type of ranking -- and even filter the rankings based on what the criteria were used to rank.

You can also have LinkedIn type of ring of trust which can be built up across the network, even into the online gaming/virtual worlds. Real and virtual can easily blend. There is the risk of bots and AI quackery ingraining themselves into this ring, as well.

Copyright, 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.