Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Xbox gamers roll their own...eventually

Well, sounds like Microsoft is starting to do the kind of thing I've been blogging about for the past few months: "Play your own Xbox game: Microsoft plans free tools for enthusiasts to make own games, but at first only other hard-core gamers will be able to share the creations."

They plan to gradually roll it out but what I had in mind is along the lines of my interest. However, I still believe that starting with children is the way to go [homeschoolers are my initial target market since my sons would the perfect guinea pigs -- I mean test subjects].

As I mentioned to my friends tonight, I want a tool/system which is independent of hardware and language: I want my tool to be able to generate machine code, compiled language [like C/C++] or against interpreter [like JVM or Smalltalk VM]. I also want any and all the low level changes be reflected back to the high level language unlike almost all the languages of today which are one-way functions. The ideal is to create an open source tool which people can take to colleges and professional work where they can improve their performance without disrupting or redoing what they have to deal with at school or job. With a good solid free tool, you can go to your work, download and be up and running in few minutes and then get your personal settings saved somewhere off site [at your own web site, on a USB drive, etc.] that you retrieve and save off.

Unlike MSFT, I want to target from children programmers to pros like yours truly.

The problem is making money to pay for my bills and care for my families. I don't like the normal way of selling licenses [annual or permanent] since that raised the barrier of entry. Open source is to me the best way but how to get money for something open and free? I'm thinking now that paying for bug fix and feature enhancement is the way to go: this way, once the business builds up, that money (or bids) can be contracted/sub-contracted out to other programmers, etc.

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.