Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Computer breakdowns

We had two computers go bad on us at our home: I spilled some soda on my computer and the keys got missed up enough to need replacement. (I'm typing with a USB keyboard for now. I should get it replaced this week.)

My older notebook computer, which is now my eldest son's computer, its power receptacle (inside the computer) got loose such that the power plug could not reach inside. So I had to take apart the whole computer so that I can reset the receptacle by the outside case. I also stuffed some cardboard paper so that it won't go back in deep. I also learned how to take apart the computer

Toshiba A15 requires that the top part (above the keyboard) has to be pop'ed out and then the screws removed so that the keyboard could be lifted up and then unscrew two screws to separate the top from the bottom (most screws need to be removed from the bottom, as well as battery, HDD and memory -- at least I did so). Taking out the keyboard's ribbon cable and putting it back on was a bit tricky but otherwise, it was pretty uneventful (at least I didn't have any extra parts left after I put everything back together and things seem to work).