Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Games for pre-teens

I've complained before but I'm not happy with what is available for children (esp. pre-teens). There are books galore for teens and even computer camps for gaming but almost all are geared for teens (for making violent games?) and there seems to be a dearth of materials for pre-teens. Stagecast seems like a good start but since it has it's own (visual programming) language I'm not happy with it. I was hoping squeak had something going but it seems too "formal" and "structured" for an unschooler like me (as it is). I realize that programming can be fun once you get into it but for children in the grade schools (and esp. for those who are ADD/ADHD) who are esp. visually oriented, computer programing via text is a boring way to start.

Since I started with programming calculator, moving to BASIC language was like a revolution in programming! Stagecast gives enough programming ability to create somewhat useful games but not enough detailed or easy control to really make great software (based on what I've tried so far and what I've seen in example code and what my sons have created so far). I may have to create the right kind of tool myself. Sigh.