Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Monday, September 25, 2006

Metaprogramming

I'm not the only person who wants to program in a generic way: DSL or Domain Specific Language is a proposal for metaprogramming without worrying about the details of the target languages. He points to ANTLR parser generator -- i.e., alternative to Lex/Yacc. [Interestingly enough, Microsoft has already released DSL tool kit for Visual Studio.]

I don't think so: I don't want more complexity for the sake of cleanness of implementation [i.e., make it easy for computer to process rather than easier for user to program], the trend with parser generators. I want high order functions easy to use and give me more power to do what I want. Much like what they are trying to do with the next generation GUI's. All in all, programming should be as painless (or approachable) as Excel "programming."

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.