Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Intelligence: poker and origin

We had some interesting discussion about intelligence yesterday morning with my friends. And then later that day, I read an article about Poker and AI. What really is intelligence?

My friend defined it as making decisions based on a body of knowledge, esp. in solving problems [speaking as an engineer].

I'm not sure myself: intelligence requires language as foundation with both knowledge and experience and then an extra ability to apply these 2 to a current problem (with some ability to plan/predict for the future).

Chess was viewed as end all proof of intelligence but when machines started to beat grand masters, it was questioned what intelligence was afterall. And Poker seems to be the next "target" but I don't think it is that simple. The most fundamental is that language hasn't been replicated in computers yet. Why? Because language "transcends" reality and doesn't exist in any physically measurable way.

Copyright, 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.