Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Greatest Software "ever" ... NOT!

InfoWeek has the top 12 software ever made [as of August 2006]. Along with top 5 runner up.

Only time will tell but I have a feeling that we're just getting started. There are too many unresolved problems in computer science [usability, programmability, traceability, debuggability, maintainability] to name top software yet.

Maybe the top 17 software with the state of tools as of 2006. Once we solve a lot of the basic software problems, then we can move on to creating great software. I think that we're still working out the kinks of the language of mathematics before we can get to Newtonian physics let alone Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

I do love how they did explain the start of open source movement long before the internet: via magnetic tape exchange. Which is how I got to know C programming at my college by getting a C compiler "free" from one of the tape exchanges [back when Pascal and BASIC were the main teaching languages at least at my college].

However, I'm a bit disappointed that Java up ended Smalltalk but that's OK. Xerox blew it and never did recover. And one moves on...

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.