Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Visual Studio Corrupts Your Mind!

Charles Petzold's "Does Visual Studio Rot the Mind?" is similar to Rinky Dink Software: the tools try to be too helpful and ends up restricting us (and preventing us from excelling).

There are drawbacks of working with a blank slate of coding since one has to do everything (remembering the class/function names, correct parameters and correct syntax), but then anything is possible (including wrong functions/classes)!

Just looking at Stagecast shows the extreme of graphical programming only: even though the core was written in Java, one doesn't have the option of adding code or even changing the core functions (as far as I can tell).

For me, I want as much control as I want to put in (even if I have to program at the machine (bit) level) but I want to work at as high level as possible (like the back of the napkin sketching) so I can focus on the "fun" stuff rather than bit pushing. I thought expensive tools like i-Logix Statemate would fill that need but it only does the high end and could not deal with low level user changes (the bane of all CASE tools).