Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Kid's Programming Language

Morrison Schwartz has a language "KPL". The brief blurb on it made it seem like a cool thing for my sons to try but then it looks like more BASIC programming: the last thing I want them to learn.

My goal is to see them learn OO and Stagecast is a good start (a very visual programming language). I hope to get them on Smalltalk but I'll have to give Croquet a shot first and see if I can use it (rather than roll something on my own).

For those thinking about teaching programming languages to your children: Avoid structural languages like BASIC and C. And half baked Object Oriented Programming languages like C++ and Java. Stick with the real thing, like Smalltalk/Squeak (which originally was used to teach middle school children in the early 1970's). Anything less will mentally cripple your children's mind, in my not so humble opinion.