Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Sunday, October 09, 2005

PDF: not having your way

I like "PDF annotator": it sounds like it allows some control to the user (with Tablet PC support). However, it is good only for adding comments rather than giving true control to the user: I can't see a PDF the way I want to view it rather than what the PDF author wants to see.

I read about FOP and was taken back: why do people want to fix a web page into PDF? I want more flexibility, not locked into a static view. I realize that authors want to control their written materials but in the world of music mashing ("mash-up" or "bootleg" or just "boot"), you want to mix and match other people's work. So extending mashing to video or even raw text or, programs or software source, makes perfect sense to me. PDF goes backwards: it locks in not only the text but even the formatting, too! The only thing the user can control is how much to zoom in or out!

[software mashing (swashing?): what a concept! What does that mean? You can't just jumble the source lines. At some block or functional level would make sense but you never know...]