Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Post Web-2.0

I saw the article "Gartner touts Web 2.0, scoffs at sequel: Web 3.0 just a marketing ploy, but collaborative tools are here to stay" and thought: well, I've been thinking what's next too.

I don't think the trend is more of Web xyz. Web 1.0 started off as server centered services. And Web 2.0 became more user centered and interactive. So call "social networking" is really giving control to the users of the servers.

I believe the next step is user driven web view. Just as current mashups allows many things to come together in one page (i.e., one server), the next step is giving tools to the users to let the mashups take place at per browser level: I will connect up the web sites I want to see and this "view" I can share with my friends but there may not be a central place to get this "view." This will decentralize the Web perspective and take many views off line (or not easily available by tools like web spiders or search engine "seekers"). In fact, from the web spiders' view, the web will become defragmented and harder to ferret out what's hot or not. Maybe domain name resolution or IP traffic would have to be monitored to see what is really hot since these per user views may be completely private.

I'm starting to look at open source browsers and see what I can use to make steps towards this new world order. I've looked at Webkit (and related Adobe's AIR) but I think I'll stick with Firefox for now. Firefox has its set of problems but seems to be supported by most web sites such that people can use it painlessly. Plus it works on Windows and Linux and even OS X. [Don't expect much progress since I'm busy at work and home, unfortunately.]

Copyright 2007, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.

Labels: