Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Take the Data with You? Why not the tools?

"WEB 2.0: Google CEO: Take your data and run" seems like a good idea but all wrong.

If it was all personal data, then it makes sense. But as soon as companies get involved, it ain't so simple. What if you have mixture of work and personal stuff in gmail?

But even more importantly, if I go to work, I can't take any data nor written code with me when I quit [I'm sure if was at google, I would be treated the same way]. Which is fair enough.

However, I believe that programming tools that programmers write on their own [or even on company time] should be owned by the programmer not the company. As long as the programming tool does not contain any propriety code/data, it should belong to the programmer since it helps him to be a better programmer. [I kind of like the idea of using emacs for this reason: I can customize it, knowing that I can take those changes with me onto my next job.]

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.