Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Sunday, October 09, 2005

In and Out, and redundancy too: thoughts of an insomniac

I have always desired to see that output become input. For example, when I print a number or draw a picture, I want to turn the result into an input for an equation or animate my drawing. With spreadsheet, I can print a result based on some equation but I'm not able to start with a number and help me create an equation which will calculate the number (I'm not sure if I am expressing my thoughts well, here).

What I want is a meta control: for example, if I want to print a page, I want the meta-control to allow me to copy the file to another computer or removable media (USB memory drive, etc.) or email the page to another person. (Web pages have links for printing and email and maybe even saving the page but that's at the discretion of the web host, not the user.)

With meta++, there would be some scripting language to allow control over the meta action to take place (like, go through my email addressbook and send to all the males on my list).

Side note: I guess the problem with object oriented scripting is that you need an object to work with but scripting is all action with no defined object.

I have many gripes with browsing: I want to be able to view a page or two in my own way: sometimes I want to tile the windows since I want to copy data from one page to another. I also want the ability to work with PDF and MS.Doc file as a web page. And some scripting or meta++ to manipulate the web(-like) pages. I also don't like the cookie system where they assume that I only need one -- I might share my session with my family or I may want to maintain multiple ID (to control spam or isolate the source of spam or just redundency).

And talking about redundency, due to overload of spam on mail servers, some emails seem to get dropped so having multiple email addresses (with different service providers like gmail and hotmail or AOL and earthlink) and being able to deal with multiple (like reply to sender will have 2 or more To: email address) would ensure that one of the copies would get to you. Another thing is if I want to share email with my wife, it's not so easy to make sure people who send or reply to us enter both names. Maybe if it was easy enough to switch ID's like the way Mozilla Thunderbird works, it may make sense to create an email address for both of us and switch between individual and dual email as needed.

There are tools like nbor which suppose to allow you to do "anything" but in a limited way. The other extreme are programming languages that really let you do everything but you have to start from scratch (OK, Smalltalk and other interpreted language allow you change stuff but that's not normal). Something like Mozilla (with XUL) may allow changes but not as easily as I have in mind above. I still think OOP is the way to go but has its limitation (where an object has to be specific rather than nebulous, like when dealing with scripting language).