Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Keyholes: computer imposed limits

Scott Meyers "The Keyhole Problem" is a good start on the limitations and artificial restrictions placed by computers (i.e., hardware and (mostly) software).

As I mentioned before, however, I want the user to take over, not just see that things become flexible, but much like in the spirit of greasemonkey to write things from the user's perspective.

Looking at Greasemonkey a bit, it isn't quite right either. I want to see this new tool be as "friendly" as spreadsheets, especially to do whatif analysis. I still remember the "a-ha" moment when I saw the demo of NextStep where an Objective-C program created a spreadsheet which had the Mathematica (math problem solving engine) as the back end such that calculus could be solved in spreadsheets. It's this kind of programming empowerment I want the users to have.