Danny's Tech: Where West and East Intersect

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Usability: why refresh and restart are needed

I have read many articles (I don't remember where I saw one recently, since quick search of digg and /. didn't turn up anything) on how to tweak Linux to be able to compete with Microsoft Windows (or Apple's Mac OS X). But I think it is all wrong.

Linux started by extending what Linus knew to be a replacement of existing UNIX.

Unfortunate it never got away from its roots: being a copy cat, a free version of whatever is "hot" (which has changed ever so slightly over time).

Users do not care about POSIX compatibility or OpenGL API. Or what filesystem is running. In fact the idea of having files or even saving into files make no sense at all for a non-programmer. Unfortunately, children of today growing up with computers just get used to it, be it with Windows, Mac OS or Linux. They all perpetuate the filesystem non-sense.

Why should one have to worry about files and their names? I was frustrated in having to help my wife forward an attachment from an email. She had to unattach it and then compose a new email, re-attach the file and then send it on its way! Why couldn't she just email the content and strip out everything else? (which "forward" command don't normally allow you to do). [I normally won't give two thoughts about it since I'm so used to it, but that's only because I've been programming since 1980 and used email since 1983 or so.]